The news was featured in newspapers in the UK and a talk show in the US, severely damaging the image of Malaysia.
1) Likes having a fit body and likes to show off by wearing V-neck and sleeveless clothes;
2) A preference for tight and bright-colored clothes;
3) Attraction to men; and
4) A preference for carrying big handbags, similar to those used by women
|Huge bag? Problem? Image:dailymail.co.uk|
1) Attraction to women;
2) Besides their female companions, they tend to distance themselves from other women;
3) A preference for going out, having meals etc. with women and a preference for sleeping in the company of women;
4) Not attracted to men
I believe they have forgotten to include the following for gay people though:
1) Exceptionally talented (example- Leonardo Da Vinci, Elton John, George Michael, and Jesse Bering)
2) Highly civilized and peace loving (gays don't push another guy down the MACC building for no reason)
3) VERY healthy (according to the ministry's guideline, gays are muscular--meaning they are way fitter than most straight men)
4) Environmentalist (plastic bags are redundant when you're carrying a huge bag)
5) Like to have eye contact with other men, which is often misinterpreted as a sign of politeness.
|Gays are highly talented. One such example is Leonardo Da Vinci. Image: leonardo.net|
|Sir Elton John and partner David Furnish. Image: news.bbc.co.uk|
|Singer George Michael and partner Kenny Goss Iamge: theage.com.au|
|One of my favorite bloggers, Jesse Bering. Image: books.scientificamerican.com|
There is no definite evidence to suggest that gay men like wearing v-neck, having a fit body, prefer light-colored clothes and carry huge bags. There are literally thousands of men working out every other day in the gym for the sole purpose of staying fit, and there are thousands more who, like me, carry huge recycle bag to do our grocery shopping.
The "symptoms" listed in the guideline are nothing more than dilettante opinions of laymen on homosexuals. How can anything not fully backed up by proper scientific evidence be allowed to be endorsed as "guidelines" by a supposedly-professional government ministry? This proves the level of professionalism of our government agency, and in fact it reminds me of the case of the 55th Merdeka Day celebration logo, which was allegedly designed by a front-desk clerk rather than a professional graphic designer.
|The 55th Merdeka Celebration logo. Seriously I could do better than this. Image: faizalnizam.com|
"Since gay marriage was legalized in New York state a year ago, marriage license fees, local celebrations and wedding-related purchases have boosted New York City's economy by $259 million"--New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
We have yet to come across the issue of legalizing same sex marriage, but had we not been smart enough to voice our outrage, and adhere blindly to government-issued guidelines like North Korean, businesses like the fashion industry and health industry could be affected--some people would stop going to the gym, stop buying v-necks and huge bags.
Again, it's imperative to note that I do not endorse nor do I reject homosexuality in my community. Malaysia is a democratic country after all.